Getting Incredible Legal Help

Your Guide To Car Accident Lawsuits

If you've been injured in a car accident, it may be a good idea to contact an attorney. In many cases, they don't get paid unless you do, making it a great way to fairly pay for your medical bills and damages. If you would like to know more about car accident lawsuits, keep reading.

What Money Can You Receive?

Your settlement can consist of money for your medical bills and damage to your car (and personal belongings in the vehicle damaged in the accident). However, you can also sue for lost income if you missed work due to an accident, including going to doctor appointments.

Some accidents affect you for years or even life, however. In this case, you may sue for emotional and/or physical pain and suffering. Examples of physical pain and suffering include:

  • Spinal cord damage
  • Nerve damage
  • Limited mobility complications
  • Brain damage

Emotional pain and suffering may include harder-to-prove damage, such as:

  • Mood disorders like depression or anxiety
  • Loss of enjoyment in life
  • Lack of interest in or the ability to do interests/activities

How Can You Boost Your Chances of Getting a Fair Settlement?

One of the best ways of getting a fair settlement is by letting your attorney do all the talking. Let your attorney talk to the other driver's insurance agency and deal with the court if you file a lawsuit. Your attorney knows the ins and outs of how to best prove your case and get the settlement you deserve.

In addition, make sure to visit your doctor and follow all treatment advice. You are required to do everything you can to mitigate your injuries. For this reason, if you don't follow the treatment plan or follow up with your doctor, your settlement may be reduced.

Last, don't talk about the accident with anyone except your attorney. Similarly, don't post about the accident on your social media. It's too easy to take an off-hand comment and manipulate it. In fact, it may be best to stop posting on social media until you've received your settlement.

What if You Are Partially Responsible?

If you're partially responsible for the accident, most states require the court to reduce the settlement by comparative negligence. For example, if the court determines you were 20 percent responsible, the other driver is still responsible for 80 percent of your damages. If you were mostly responsible, however, you don't get anything.

Car accidents can be traumatic and lead to severe long-term injuries. If you've been injured in a car accident, it's time to seek a fair settlement. Get started by finding a car accident attorney in your area.